Sunday 2 October 2016

My first two weeks of class

 Salut!


 With the trip to Baux-de-Provence and Saint-Rémy-de-Provence over, I settled back into everyday Avignon life. 

 My first week of lessons began and I enjoyed them. My timetable wasn't completely sorted yet, but luckily we Erasmus students are allowed to sample a few different courses before choosing for definite which ones we want to do.

 I studied all kinds of French things, from linguistics and syntax to theatre and Medieval poetry. I also tried out some Spanish modules, as I want to be speaking that regularly as well, and I joined a zumba class which is fun and something a bit different. You can do sport for credits here, which I really like, but getting a place in one of the classes is hard with so many people keen to do it.

 I learnt more and more about Avignon and soon knew my way around both the Uni and the town. I came to love walking by the river, chilling in the squares and strolling through the winding streets.

 I live very near a supermarket and enjoyed tasting new foods. One thing I discovered which made me laugh was the Nutella B-ready - like Happy Hippos but in the shape of bread. Everything about them, from the concept to the name to the packaging is so silly, but they taste pretty good!




 I also got to know my local area better. It's very tempting to spend your time Intra-muros, inside the old city walls, as that is where the main Uni building is and where you can find lots of historical stuff. However, I like being Extra-muros, outside the walls, because it's more open and diverse. I discovered a pizza shop quite near to me which I like and will probably return to.


 I found out to my delight that my mother and grandmother would be coming to visit me at the end of my second week of classes. I was so excited to be able to show them around the city that already felt like home. 

 The knowledge that they would be coming helped to power me through the stress of getting my timetable and the accompanying paperwork sorted. It's complicated, but you just have to stick at it and stay positive. I'm now doing a set of classes that I enjoy and which fit together well. I'm very hopeful that this will be a wonderful semester.

 Thanks for reading,

 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment